Now out: episode six of What Do You Call That Noise? The XTC Podcast featuring illustrator and graphic designer Andrew Swainson.
Andrew has been collaborating with Andy Partridge for over 20 years. As well as working on XTC and Dukes of Stratosphear re-releases, such as Skylarking and The Complete and Utter Dukes, he helped create the distinctive look of records including:
- Powers, Partridge’s tribute to abstract electronic artist Richard M Power, made to look like an early 60s paperback book
- Warm Robot by Jen Olive, with its sci-fi fold-out sleeve
- Gonwards, by Peter Blegvad and Andy Partridge, complete with Mexican-style loteria card game
- Orpheus: The Lowdown, another Blegvad/Partridge collaboration, with its haunting X-ray imagery
- Fuzzy Warbles, the gorgeous compendium of unreleased XTC rarities
In this episode, Swainson joins XTC fans Mark Fisher, Sarah Crookall, Laura Wade, David White and Peter Mills – not to mention a brief visit by Andy Partridge – to talk about his mesmerising designs.
More about Andrew Swainson at https://www.andrewswainson.com/
Remember to subscribe to What Do You Call That Noise? The XTC Podcast on your favourite podcast app – and please support future episodes by donating at https://www.patreon.com/markfisher