Interviews and discussions about XTC, from White Music to Wasp Star and beyond, hosted by Mark Fisher, editor of The XTC Bumper Book of Fun for Boys and Girls and What Do You Call That Noise? An XTC Discovery Book.
Listen at https://whatdoyoucallthatnoise.transistor.fm/episodes – and on your regular podcast provider.
EpisodesBecome a Patron!
- Garden of Earthly Delights (feat Colin Moulding) A discussion of the XTC tribute album Garden of Earthly Delights, featuring XTC’s Colin Moulding, as well as Mark Fisher, David White and Mark Reed.
- Breathing the Same Air with Andrew M Stafford Andrew M Stafford recalls his time with XTC during the making of The Big Express. Belinda Blanchard previews her performance at the XTC Convention 2020. Mark Fisher, Mark Reed and David White join in the chat – and Andy Partridge supplies the jingles.
- Andy Partridge Everything’ll Be Alright To cheer us up during the Covid-19 lockdown, Andy Partridge pays a call to What Do You Call That Noise? The XTC Podcast with the promise that Everything’ll Be Alright. He talks with characteristic wit and candour about the power of XTC as a live band, the chords for Roads Girdle the Globe and how Yacht Dance was nearly a song about bees. Essential listening for every XTC fan, this episode will leave you Burning With Optimism’s Flames.
- XTC vs Adam Ant (feat Andy Partridge) Jordan Cooper of Don’t Let’s Start: A Podcast About They Might Be Giants joins Mark Fisher, Mark Reed and David White to talk about the connections between XTC, TMBG and Adam and the Ants. In a freewheeling conversation, they explore the head versus the heart, intellect versus instinct, and content versus form. Along the way, Andy Partridge drops by to share his opinions about Adam and the Ants and They Might Be Giants and remembers how XTC caught the eye of John Peel.
- Dave Gregory: Tunes of Good Guitarist and keyboard player Dave Gregory talks about his contribution to the sound of XTC. In conversation with musician Hugh Nankivell, he reflects on the smell of guitars, playing an idolised instrument on Skylarking and the joy of making music with Colin Moulding and Andy Partridge. Recorded at home in Swindon in March 2018, the interview appears in full in What Do You Call That Noise? An XTC Discovery Book.
- Andrew Swainson: Designs on XTC Illustrator and graphic designer Andrew Swainson has been collaborating with Andy Partridge for over 20 years. As well as working on XTC and Dukes of Stratosphear re-releases, such as Skylarking and The Complete and Utter Dukes, he helped create the distinctive look of records including Powers, Warm Robot, Gonwards, Orpheus: The Lowdown and Fuzzy Warbles. In this episode, Swainson joins XTC fans Mark Fisher, Sarah Crookall, Laura Wade, David White and Peter Mills – not to mention a brief visit by Andy Partridge – to talk about his mesmerising designs. More about Andrew Swainson at https://www.andrewswainson.com/